Sunday, June 24, 2018

5e Game - Part 8

The party had defeated their last dungeon and were busy playing pranks on each other all while doing downtime activities from Xanathar's Guide. Yes, if the PCs want to mess with each other, texting me the DM on the sly that they have found and placed a live badger in their fellow's bed at the inn, I'm going to allow it. Not only that, I'm going to push said pranks farther than they intended them to go, 'cause if they want to mess with each other, I want to see the blood and fur fly. I am a fickle deity of this tiny existence, and I like my entertainments. And maybe they'll tire of it as the campaign drags on, but I honestly think it's going to get much worse amongst the players before anyone calls for a truce. Plus, no one in the party has any long term wants or desires for their characters yet, so it keeps them interested in the game while I shuffle bits around for the next dungeon.

Lessons learned on this adventure:
- I as the DM can taunt one of my players into charging his character into situations that he would be better just holding back and waiting. Yes, that particular lesson went both ways - the player learned they should not listen to everything I (the DM) tells him for I don't have the party's best interests; and me for learning that not all the important social interactions happen in the game world between the PCs and NPCs.

- Feeding your players before the game, especially if your wife learned how to make really good TexMex, really keeps everyone focused and enjoying the game. I've been trying to get them to work together and, as a party, bring lunch in for the game sessions. That seems like too much work, however, even if they don't have to feed me (I gotta feed the wife and kid, anyway, not worried about food for me), and so I've had to drive that train. Not every weekend, but still, eating meals every now and then together as a group helps to bring everyone together and they didn't complain a bit about coming early.

- Yes, Mr Ranger, you are the sneaky, stealthy death, but if the party isn't in TPK danger territory, I'm not playing the bad guys as dumb enough for you to kill them all without getting to strike back. Yes, they don't detect you, but when arrows fly out of the darkness and drop one of their fellows, the rest are taking cover so you can't shoot them. It was a fabulous plan, but they heard enough of your fight in the next cavern over to treat you as a threat. You have to let the other players have fun, too.

- The rules are there to keep a level playing field. The DM, however, is not beholden to your level playing field. Don't get angry when the DM ignores the rules in favor of a more entertaining game. Be thankful the game is fun and the DM is not asking for a DC 5million Con Save or die instantly because of "reasons".

No comments:

Post a Comment