Sunday, June 10, 2018

5e Game - Part 6

I have some bad news folks - I did not perform a TPK on my party in yesterday's game.

Like I said, it was a dire situation, and the players had gotten themselves into it, but I had made mistakes too (all noted in my last rant post) that I rectified. The players arrived nervous, tense, even prepared with new PCs already rolled up and ready to go. Once I had wound the clock back and fixed my errors, though, the players saw the way out and drove towards their escape as hard as they could. They survived the encounter and the rest of the day's adventuring with only a couple of them going down to sub-zero hit points.

Lessons were learned, however. Lots of fire based, sub-1 CR creatures can go from annoying to deadly, especially if they continually set the entire party on fire. Magical traps hurt and so any chests that the rogue can't see anything wrong with but are covered in arcane symbols needs to also be checked by the mage. Area effect spells that fill available space are not as cool as you think they are in small rooms directly preceded by hallways with corners in them. "Yes, you can cast fireball at anything you can see, but that room isn't big enough for a 30' circle, just as a friendly warning." The mage does have the highest INT stat, but that doesn't mean he can actually pass an INT check (because on those he hasn't rolled over a 5... ever).

I apologize (or you're welcome) for this post being so short - I just got in a 3d printer this weekend and spent most of the weekend messing with that. I hope to remember to take pictures of my game table this next weekend before I get a lot of 3d printed terrain and minis to show how easy and inexpensive it is to make a decent gaming area for your players. For those on a budget, check out Rich Burlew's "A Monster for Every Season" paper minis, and if you want to get into 3d printing, you should watch the video below. Not the only option out there, but it's what I purchased and I can already attest to the quality of the prints.


No comments:

Post a Comment